Centos are one of the most widely used Linux base distributions available on the market. Current version we are working on is 7. So in this blog we will discuss about installation of centos 7. Centos 7 have some improved features then centos 6. It become little hard than before to maintain. Centos are kind of the clone of Red Hat. So we can handle both Centos and Red Hat if we learn any one of this. Here we will start by mentioning the requirements and the whole process step by step. First of all we need to attach the image file of the operating system.
- Centos 7 ISO file.
- A virtual machine with minimum 1GB RAM, 1 processor and 10GB HDD space.
We will install a minimal package operating system here. We will get the console of the operating system here. As we will install a server, so using console is a optimal option for us.
Before we install we need to set the image file to virtual machines on both virtualbox and VMware. In this post I will present how to set that image file to virtual machines. I will explain for both virtualbox and VMware.
Let’s start with virtualbox.
- First open the virtualbox, you will see the virtual machine we created. You can see how to do that on our previous post.
- You have to select the virtual machine and click on the settings on the above menu.
- On this step we will see this window. Here we should recheck three important points. The name, type and version of the operating system. Then we will select storage.
- We need to check the controller : IDE option. Here we will get an Empty disk. So we need to remove it from here. Like shown below.
- After removing the empty disk we will see the below four options will be active. We have to click on the second icon from the left and the third from the right. Then we will get a new window like below.
- Now click on the button choose disk and the window will pop up and we have to select the image file (ISO) from out computer.
- After this we will get the image on the DIE interface. Then we will see the window like this.
After this click on OK and you are good to start the virtual machine on virtualbox.
Now I will explain how to prepare the machine on VMware for the installation of centos.
- Open VMware software, then we will get the window like this.
- Here we can see that the virtual machine is already selected or we need to select the virtual machine. Now on the middle row we can see the specifications about the virtual machine. Right above that we can see an option “Edit virtual machine settings”. Now click on that.
Or right click on the virtual machine. At the bottom of the menu you will get the settings option.
- Now a new window will pop up. Here check the usual hardware on this virtual machine. Specially Memory, Processors, and Hard Disk.
- Now select the CD/DVD (SATA) and select “Use ISO image file”. Then click browse.
- Now a new window will pop up. Then select the image file and click open.
- Now click on OK.
The work is done here. Now click on the power up the virtual machine.